Monday, March 7, 2011

Pancakes

There is nothing quite like the smell of warm syrup and pancakes on a Saturday morning.  I still enjoy pancakes, but I don't eat them as much as I used too.  I began making pancakes for pure self-preservation.  When I was about 11 years old, I had learned to cook, thanks to 4-H, and my parents decided that I should have more opportunity to use this new skill.  Consequently, they began to sleep in on Saturday mornings.  To stave off my own hunger after an hour of cartoons, and to keep my younger siblings in a better humor, I would make pancakes.  I became quite skilled at making almost any design the siblings wanted with my pancake batter.  Giraffes were my favorite, but they could be difficult to flip.  More than one giraffe broke his neck in my pan.

In my early married years these pancakes really did stave off hunger.  As poor college students we could eat for a week on 1/2 pound of sausage, a carton of eggs, a gallon of milk, some flour and soda, and a bottle of syrup.  We ate pancakes 4 or 5 times a week.

So, next Saturday morning, or any time, stir up a batch.  These are quick and easy, and so much better than what you can get from a box.

Grandma's Pancake Recipe

1 cup of flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking soda
a dash of salt
1 egg mixed into 1 cup of milk (mix in a 2 cup measuring cup and you only have one container to clean)
1 Tablespoon melted shortening (you can use oil, but shortening is best - it makes them tender)

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Add the egg and milk mixture.  Gently mix together until the dry ingredients are just moistened. (You can add blueberries or other goodies at this point.) Too much mixing will make the pancakes tough.  Melt the shortening in the pan you will cook in and add to the batter.  Stir in gently and let the batter rest for a minute.  Pour or spoon the batter into the pan or onto the griddle in any size you want (try a shape!)  When tiny bubbles appear on the top it is time to flip.  Cook until done and serve with butter and syrup.  Yum yum!

For a fancy pancake, top with fresh peaches and whipped cream.  Just to die for!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, let me be first!! Great post on pancakes. Glad to see you are now a blogger bud. Been thinking about you, just can't get to you on my list. Someday.....

    ReplyDelete

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown