Thursday, March 17, 2011

First Planting

St. Patrick's Day is traditionally the day for planting potatoes, but for me it was the day to plant lettuce.  The raised bed is cleaned off and new soil has been added.  Rich and black, it felt good to dig my hands into the moist ground and see the worms wiggling and at work enriching the soil.  It is almost a holy action.  The earth is still cool, but it is moist from the rains.  It always amazes me that such tiny seeds - and lettuce seeds are tiny - can grow to be so lovely and green and good. There will be much more planting when the ground warms, but for now I dig and sing.  I always sing David Mallett's Garden Song as I plant.  You can listen to the song at his website http://davidmallett.com/music/listen/.
Find a pot or a spot in your flower bed or yard and plant something this week.  Be a part of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown