Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

I'm thinking this evening of Lent and how I might observe it this year.  Yes, I know it has already begun, but I keep turning in my mind the various observations of the season.  My understanding is that in the early years of the church, those who were going to be baptized were literally set apart from the community for six weeks.  During this time they fasted, prayed and prepared themselves for baptism.  Over the years, the practice came to be observed communally as the six weeks before Easter - our Lent.


I am not a strict literalist, but I find the idea of setting myself apart from my everyday life one that I want to pursue.  For me this has to go beyond giving up chocolate (especially since the doctor has already taken that away - not much of a sacrifice).  I think it has to be some of my time.  Time perhaps that I guard for myself.  I will spend that time listening to God.  Praying too, but I think I need to listen more.  Especially in this time of preparation for the baptism that is Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown