Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Too Hot

Everything is wilted.  The pink dogwood is badly burned from the heat and the bald cypress tree is going dormant already. If I don't water twice  a day, the flowers and vegetables hang limp by the end of the day.  This heat is relentless.  When a temperature of 95 degrees feels like a cool spell, something is wrong. 

I've been reading a book about the Dust Bowl, and it describes years of drought and high temperatures and dust storms.  It is a bit scary when I think of the high temperatures and wild fires and drought we are currently experiencing.  I buy my meat from a farmer who raises grass fed beef. She said her pasture is almost gone and the springs on her property that have run for two generations are now dry. There are lots of folks who know more about this than I do, but I just wonder if we need to look at how we are using our land and water resources.  I continue to water my garden and my shade trees, but I will let the grass go brown. I would rather have my vegetables than a green yard.  And I will pray for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown