Monday, November 12, 2012

Starting New

Grandpa and I have moved to town.  With a new neighborhood and a new town, I'm trying to add some new, positive habits to my life.  I don't have my garden here yet, but I know where it will go, and on nice days as the winter progresses, I will work on it.  I want to be ready to plant lovely vegetables when spring does arrive.

In the meantime, I've joined the YMCA and am trying to exercise.  I am NOT an athletic person.  I don't mind sweating and getting dirty in the garden, but just running on a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster.  There is no joy in that.  So, I'm trying some of the activities available at the Y.

 I tried the free weights.  That was my biggest failure.  Even with no weight at all attached to some of the machines, I could not move them.  I moved from machine to machine trying to find something I could do!  I found one.  That told me I should find something in a hurry to build my muscles and keep my bones strong!

I tried the stationary bicycle.  That went pretty well.  I enjoyed looking out the big window over the roofs of the business district while I pedaled, but it didn't feel like much of a whole body exercise.

I tried racket ball.  Well, I was on the racket ball court with a ball and a racket.  My daughter tried to teach me along with my 6 year old grandson.  I swished the ball as much as he did, and sad to say, by the end of the hour, he was doing much better than I.

Persevering, I tried the aquacise.  Now, I may have found something I can actually do.  I'm pretty good at it in the shallow end, but once I get into the deep water I have a tendency to move all over the pool as we float and swing our legs and bodies.  If I can learn to stay in place, or at least in a smaller area, I may actually succeed at this. 

At any rate, I am trying to move my body and keep my heart and bones at least as healthy as they are now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown