Monday, June 11, 2012

Vegetables

This morning we had 3/4 inch of rain.  It is so welcomed after long, hot, dry days.  I've watered every day, but that is just not as good a rain.  Despite the dry weather, I have an abundance of produce from my own garden and the farmers markets.  My kitchen cabinet is laden with zucchini and sunburst squash, cucumbers, green beans, peppers, tomatoes and blueberries.  The sunflowers are beginning to bloom and everywhere the bees are still working their magic on the blossoms.  I love this time of year.  The garden is so plentiful, and it makes everything look hopeful and secure.  We feed ourselves and can put some up for winter too.  It is deeply satisfying to see enough food on your cabinet, grown in your own garden, to feed the family for several meals.  It goes to something primal beyond any other work I've done to be a part of the life cycle in planting, growing and harvesting.

1 comment:

  1. Blueberries!!! I have been getting loads at farmer's market. David is less than enthused about my joy in the abundance of lovely,sweet beets! I might have overdone them even on myself!

    ReplyDelete

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown