Thursday, March 15, 2012

Destruction

Beware the ides of March is what Caesar was told.  It was a warning I should have heeded too.  Today the power company came to exercise it's privilege of right-of -way.  There are transmission lines running over the front corner of our property near the road.  For 20 years no one has said a thing.  But today the men in the trucks came to clear 100 feet under the lines.  We lost two beautiful, big white pine trees, two big bald cypress, a short leaf pine, and two trees from the orchard.  It was so sad.  I feel worse about these tree than I felt when the dog died! I think of the habitat for the birds, the carbon they were storing, the shade a beauty they gave us.  It makes me weep.  But at the same time, if a storm blew them into the power lines and the little man down the road couldn't use his respirator, or a sick child had no heat or air, I would feel terrible.  I have to consider the trees my sacrifice for the greater good of the community.  But still I am incredibly sad.

So time to replan the space.  Nothing can be planted there.  But wildflowers might work.  They won't bother the power lines, and they will still add some beauty.  I will have to think about this, but I think wildflowers or big sunflowers might work.  They are seasonal like grass.  Of maybe I can plant grasses for quail habitat.  There are possibilities.  When one thing is destroyed, we must mourn it for a while and then plan and create and grow something positive from the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown